This, that and the other thing

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rest found... at work!

Its funny how it can work sometimes. So often we desire to have a break from work to be able to just relax and have time for ourselves and yet sometimes work provides that time for you.

Just this weekend I had the opportunity to go with 18 students to Lafleche Caves in Gatineau. It was a beautiful time. I got to enjoy the company of some wonderful students and had a peaceful time surrounded by God's creation. Being inside the cave was such a wonderful experience. Knowing that it was formed naturally by God was so awesome to think about. The tour guide kept telling us things like how the cave was millions of years old and what not but I know the truth and was able to let her comments slide over me as though they weren't said. I admit that I wanted to pipe up and correct her for the sake of my students but I realized a good number of them weren't even listening... and I didn't quite know what I would say when she was in the middle of giving us a tour.

Let me take you on a picture tour of the cave.
This is the man made entrance to the cave which was dug after they found the network of tunnels in the cave.

This was the original entrance they found that went from the top down instead of from the bottom up.

Now, inside the cave it was so dark that when the tour guide told us to turn off our lights we literally could not see our hands right in front of our faces. And, no matter how long you stayed that way, your eyes would never adjust.
We went from the bottom of the cave ( or the bottom to us tourist but really more close to the top for the scientists) up 77 stairs to reach what was called as the chimney.

We were told that where we were walking was actually the top of a house and we were in the chimney of the house. She also explained that this cave is apparently one of three caves in the entire world that was formed from the water coming up from the ground rather than down from another source. I can't say I still fully understand.
At one point we got to crawl through this tiny little tunnel that was so small my knees were just about to my chin when I was trying to walk through. I was happy to be wearing a helmet since I hit my head so many times in the tiny little space.


This is the place we came out of. It was up a little bit from the entrance. which was neat.

Finally, this is where we had our lunch. This little bog like pond was actually once a lake. However, all of its sediments have caused it to shrink more and more so that it really is a little pond instead of a nice big lake.

Now, although this was a very wonderful time, we got to go to another beautiful place as well. On the way back into Ottawa we stopped in Gatineau Park to visit Pink lake. This would have been a nice place to spend more time then we had. We could have hiked around the whole lake but were short on time. I hope to go back again another time.And so, on Saturday I went to work but it was a restful day just the same. It was a nice day to be outside and what a beautiful view we were surrounded by. God really does show himself and his glory through his creation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

Looks like fun Kate - hopefully I'll be joining you there in a couple of weeks!!

Love ya
Vanessa

10:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home