This, that and the other thing

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Psalm 51 and 1 Thessalonians 4

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me."--Psalm 51:10-12

The moment I started reading this verse, the song popped into my head. I dont know how many of you know it. I just learned it at CCC in one of the years I was there.

David wrote this Psalm after commiting adultery. It speaks to everyone who sins, however, not just adulterers. When forgiveness is asked, God grants it... If out hearts are truely repentant.

In his psalm, David is pleading for things that I often ask myself: renew me, restore my joy, make me willing. Its so easy to forget that we are seen as pure in Gods sight because of Christ. We can grow embarrassed and ashamed to come to Him and admit our sins when he already knows them. But David asks for more than just forgiveness. He asks for a steadfast spirit, he asks for joy in salvation, and he asks for a willing spirit.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, God, you will not despise."--Pslam 51:17

Here we learn what is required for repentance. If ones heart does not truely want forgiveness then God will despise the request. He did not desire sacrifices for Davids wrongs (that was mearly on outward action). God desired Davids heart to be broken for his sins. And so too it is for us. Forgiveness comes through faith in Christ and because we have asked with a broken heart. He adores humility. We are told we are made strong in our weakness and due to our sin, we should be weak all the time.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as wek told you, so that your daily life may win respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anyone."-- 1 Thesselonians 4:11-12

This verse reminds me, once again, that at all times we are being watched. By non believers everywhere, our attitudes and actions are being monitored. If we are lazy, we are a bad witness. If we gossip, we are hypocrites. We must always be alert. Sometimes it is what we do, or do not do, that brings people to us with questions. We can be a strong witness in silence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

That does sound wonderful.

3:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home