This, that and the other thing

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Teenagers!

I have always wanted to teach. My initial dream was to teach young children. It was my dream for years and years until i started university. It wasnt until my third and final year that i realised that i would also enjoy teaching adults. So, i knew... adults or children.

Please note: NEVER did i concider (not even concider) teaching teenagers! They have attitude that i just cant handle and disrespect that i find i have no patience for.

I am currently teaching in a private language school We have students who range from 18 to 50. so i am quite happy... normally. Unfortunately for me and the other teachers along with me, our school accepts students from other countries for a summer course. One month with younger kids. Guess how old they are? If you guessed 13- 16 you guessed correctly. And not only that, they are spoiled rich kids. They whine and complain and are rude... Its so hard to handle it.

I went to class today just dreading it. I end up having a group of 13 students when the maximum amount is 12 and 6 of them are "the children" as our regular students call them. They dont listen and then the moment i am finished explaining something they ask questions that i have already answered. And sometimes the same question gets asked three times. It drives me and the other studetns crazy. Today i actually had to start being mean and i hate being that way. But i think it is the only way these kids will understand.

This month is challenging. Its almost over but its been so tireing. Loud, slow and rough. But i am seeing that the Lord is teaching me patience. I have always known i had trouble with Youth and so i have always tried to stay away from having to teach them. Now i have no choice. I get to teach one of the hardest groups in the school. But i am sure there is something i am to learn. I know that i should be teaching them joyfully and i should be enjoying it even if it is hard but i just find i am hardening and getting frustrated even before i got to class. I need to be more prayerful before my afternoon classes with "the children". They are, after all, just teenagers. Almost all of them are the same even though that really isnt an excuse.

So my goal? to teach contentedly without complaining for the last two weeks. Dave, you are the one i usually complain to so keep me accountable, please.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,
Gosh...I would hate teaching teenagers...One of my really good friends student taught this past semester and will be teaching in the fall grades 9-12. I pitty both of you but also think that you can both handle it. Just remember probably all the boys have a crush on you because you're the pretty young teacher=) Love you Kate! Hang in there...

11:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.. well, I am sure you will do quite well. If there is one thing I have been amazed about you, its your ability to adapt and handle pretty much everything.

You'll do well Katie. I am sure.

- Vijay

1:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home